|Title||North Central Airlines Douglas DC-3 Propeller|
|Collection||Aircraft Parts & Furnishings Collection|
|Object Name||Propeller, Aircraft|
|Description||Hamilton propeller (23E50) and propeller dome used on Douglas DC-3 aircraft.|
This propeller is from the famous North Central Airlines DC-3 Ship 728. Ship 728 was built in 1939 as a standard 21-passenger version and saw service with Eastern Airlines, before being sold to North Central Airlines in 1952. When North Central retired No. 728 from scheduled service in April 1965, the plane had flown 83,032 hours and more than 12 million miles—more than any other airplane in history.
No. 728 was refurbished by North Central and converted into a VIP aircraft. Airline executives flew in No. 728 until 1974, when the plane was donated to the Henry Ford Museum and painted in Northwest Airlines livery. North Central merged with Southern Airways in 1979 to become Republic Airlines, which was later purchased by Northwest Airlines in 1986.
This propeller was displayed at North Central Airlines headquarters at 7500 (Northliner) Airliner Dr. for many years. It was later on display in the lobby of NATCO (Northwest Airlines Training Corp) Building after Republic Airlines merged with Northwest in 1986 until about 2011 or 2012. It was supported by a concrete, mauve carpet-covered base. Transferred to the lobby of the OC2 Building at Delta's General Offices in Atlanta in 2011 or 2012. Transferred to the Delta Flight Museum in 2013. In preparation for the Museum's renovation and reopening in 2014, the propeller was removed from the concrete base, polished and mounted on Museum's Prop Era Introduction Panel that welcomes visitors to Delta's Hangar One.
North Central Airlines
|Credit line||Northwest Airlines|